Are you still deciding on what dish to prepare for Christmas? Don’t worry, I’ve got your back!
Boeuf Bourguignon, also known as Beef Burgundy, looks and tastes very luxurious but is actually quite easy to make yourself. Its name most likely comes from the wine used to prepare the beef, but it could be named after the French region with the same name.
Just a little heads up: It’s not cheap. But it’s definitely worth spending the little extra money for special occasions.
This recipe serves 4-6 people.
- 1 kg lean beef in bite-size pieces
- 200 g pickled onions
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 250 g smoked bacon
- 1 large carrot
- 400 g mushrooms
- 4 celery sticks
- handful of parsley
- 3 tbsp white flour
- 40 ml red wine of preference
- 2 tbsp cognac or brandy of preference
- 40 ml beef broth
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 3 bay leaves
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Start things off by chopping up the vegetables and measuring out your liquids.
- In a large pan, fry the beef with some butter until it is nice and golden. Then add the carrot and celery to the pan.
- After 3 minutes, add the flour to thicken things up. Pour in the beef broth, red wine and cognac or brandy and keep stirring.
- Add the bay leaves and let this simmer on low for about 2 hours.
- While the mixture is simmering, cook the bacon, pickled onions, mushroom and garlic for 4 minuten. Add this to the large pan.
- Add thyme, parsley, salt and pepper, let simmer for at least another 30 minuten.
- Take the bay leaves out before serving. Enjoy!
Tip: Choose a red wine you actually like, because the wine you choose will affect the taste of the entire dish. I like to use a good pinot noir.
Serving tip: Serve with red cabbage, mashed potatoes or even pasta!
Sorry for sharing your secret recipe, mom! The world deserved to know.